Sunday, July 29, 2018

SOAR- ESL Boot-camp for Public School Children 🚍✍

 Today, We had a very special day at a Middle school. we had to observe classes at the SOAR - ESL Boot-camp for Public School Children. The day was really amazing, and we enjoyed it a lot.

when we got into the school, the program manager was waiting for us with her lovely team. They were ready with the breakfast; sandwiches, juice, water, and yogurt for the kids as well as we. She gave us some instructions and then directed us to the class. there were four classes two for reading one for maths and one for writing. I was lucky to attend all of them.


The first class was reading. In this class, there were four kids and two teachers. They started with a quick warm-up and then a lead into the reading. They unblocked the new vocabulary and then they mad reading circle. all the teachers and the students were reading together by turn. I enjoyed their interaction very much. I am eager to apply these circles in my classes.
      
The second class was reading, though. This time, the class was three students and a teacher. the class was interesting too. The teacher was conducting a kind of individual assessment. She set with each student alone and evaluated their performance in reading including top-down and Bottom-up skills. That was really interesting for me because in my classes I do not have the chance to work individually with the students.

The third class was a writing class. There were eight students and two teachers. They were using a very interesting writing tool called OREO writing planner. That was my first time with it. I saw the students are really active and into the learning. I usually use the Sandwich writing planner but of course, I will try the OREO next time.

Finally, I went to the Maths class. That class was fun and full of activities. the teachers were not only teaching maths but also, taking care of the pronunciation and the meaning of the new words. The class was about fractions. The students were really active participants and they proved smartness in personality and in mentality. Of course, I will use these techniques in my English for maths classes. By the end of this day. We felt very happy to set and spent the day with such promising kids.           

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your excellent classroom descriptions.

    You wrote sentences like these:
    - "I am eager to apply these circles in my classes."
    - " That was really interesting for me because in my classes I do not have the chance to work individually with the students."
    - "I usually use the Sandwich writing planner but of course, I will try the OREO next time."
    - " I will use these techniques in my English for maths classes."

    Can you talk about how you might use these techniques in your classes? Will you need to modify them? How might you need to adapt them for your classroom use?

    ReplyDelete